Pages

Friday 29 April 2016

My Braces Journey! #1

Earlier this year, I decided I wanted to get braces after being unhappy with my teeth (especially my top front teeth) for a long time. I never had the chance to have braces as a teenager so after having some savings and lots of thinking and talking it through with people I decided it was what I wanted.




My first appointment was just a consultation, so was very quick. The dentist had a quick look at my teeth and discussed the procedure of the braces and what they do and look like and the price. We also discussed what were the issues I had with my teeth, such as was it the top teeth or bottom teeth or the front teeth. When I went into the appointment, I was going to have the brace on both the bottom and top teeth but after having a chat with the dentist and my parents I decided to just go with the top as the dentist explained my top teeth cover my bottom teeth when I smiled and my main issues were my two front top teeth. Also, she explained that if i felt I was unhappy with the bottom teeth when I removed the brace then I could have one placed on the bottom. 

Before the braces were put on (Excuse the horrible picture)

My second appointment was two weeks later, which was taking the moulds of my teeth. I was quite nervous about this, as I had heard bad things about it. I am also afraid of being sick and people had said it can make you feel a bit sick so I was a bit worried about that. The first thing the dentist did was take pictures of my teeth and had a closer look of them. Then it was time for the moulds, I did find the experience a bit uncomfortable because I felt slightly panicky when they were doing my top teeth but the bottom teeth wasn't as bad. After the moulds had been taken, we discussed any issues I may have after removing the brace and the after care and also how long I would need the brace for. She said I would need it for six to eight months. She also said they would normally apply a permanent retainer at the back of the teeth but because I have a deep bite I will need a removable one. We also discussed I may need to have veneers on the front two teeth but that can be a decision once the brace is removed and she also said my teeth may move out slightly. So that was the end of the second appointment. 

Two weeks later, I went to have the brace fitted. The dentist started by polishing my teeth and then something was sprayed into my mouth which I don't know what it was but all I can remember was it tastes disgusting and still had a sore throat hours after. Then she put a rubber shield into my mouth to keep my mouth open for the time that the braces were put in. I can't remember what order this next part was done but she used what looked like a nail file between each tooth and scrapped it back and forth now this part was really painful and mouth bleed quite badly from this. They then put glue on my teeth and placed the brackets on then shined a light to dry the glue. Lastly they applied the wiring and that was it. There may have been more to it but that's as much as I can remember from it. She then went onto explain the after care and what I can and can not eat. 

After the braces were put on

The same day my throat was really sore but my teeth didn't feel that painful just a bit achy. The only thing I ate was pasta and drank a protein drink. As I said above my gums did bleed quite badly and this continued for the next few days due to brushing my teeth a lot and the wounds opening up.
The second day was quite bad, my teeth and gums were very sore, achy and tender and I found it really difficult to eat. I took some ibuprofen to help with the pain. Along with the bleeding, I also had quite a bit of swelling in my cheeks and gums which also caused quite a bit of discomfort.
I am currently on my third full day of having my braces and am still having some pain and discomfort. but it is slowly healing, I may do a follow up in a month to show what has happened to my teeth since.

Let me know if you have any tips for having braces. 


Jess x

2 comments:

  1. Judging by your "before" pictures, I can understand having the desire to get braces. I have also had them and they can do wonders for your self-esteem. It is so great when you finally get them off and no longer feel self conscious when you smile or laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My teeth are something that have always bothered me and made me feel self conscious, I am currently just over three months in wearing them and have noticed a huge difference already. Best decision I have made.

      Delete